In this blog we will describe what an implementing company must do in order to meet the requirement of the ISO 1401:2015 clause 5.2: environmental policy.
Clause 5.2: Environmental policy
The environmental policy is the mechanism by which top management formally expresses its commitment to improving its environment performance.
As a minimum, these commitments are required:
- The environmental policy is appropriate to the purpose and context of the organization, including the nature, scale and environmental impacts of its activities, products and services;
- Provides a framework for setting environmental objectives;
- Includes a commitment to the protection of the environment, including prevention of pollution and other specific requirements relevant to the context of the organization;
- Include a commitment to fulfill compliance obligations;
- Include a commitment to continual improvement of the environmental management system to enhance environmental performance.
It is important to share the organization’s commitments with its employees, contractors and others who work on behalf of the organization so that they understand top managements’ expectations and can perform their work in a manner that contributes to meeting these expectations. Making the environmental policy publicly available, or available on request, provides assurance to interested parties that the organization is doing its part to achieve positive environmental outcomes.
The environmental policy should be reviewed periodically to ensure that it remains relevant and appropriate to the organization.
Clause 5.2 Environmental Policy – Quick Check
- Is the policy documented?
- Do you apply document control to the policy?
- Were top management involved in the formulation of the policy?
- Did you consider nature, scale and environmental impacts of activities, products and services when writing the policy?
- Does your policy include specific commitments relevant to purpose and context of the organisation?
- Does your policy provide a framework for setting environmental objectives?
- Does your policy include a commitment to the protection of the environment, including prevention of pollution?
- Does your policy include a commitment to fulfill compliance obligations?
- Does your policy include a commitment to continual improvement of the EMS to enhance environmental performance?
- Are mechanisms in place to communicate the policy within the organisation?
- Are mechanisms in place to make the policy available to external interested parties?